Friday, June 6, 2008

Sports Day & Spring Fair

Mount Albert - the easternmost community in EG -has community spirit – especially the first weekend of every June.

Why then, you ask? That's when Mount Albert celebrates its annual Sports Day and Spring Fair. This weekend is the fair's 83rd year.

How about taking a ride on this spaceship? (I'll take you to my leader. LOL)
Since last Sunday evening, trucks have been hauling the carnival into town and kids have been peaking around corners to watch workmen put the rides together. Yep, this big kid (the one on the other side of the lens that took this photo) took her camera with her. None of the workmen seemed to mind. Most of them didn't seem to notice either. It's like they're used to paparazzi.
Over the years, the Sports Day Committee has raised big bucks to maintain the Mount Albert Community Centre and park. In the past they have made enough cash to pay for many expensive improvements such as upgrading the community centre kitchen and washrooms. This year one goal is to construct a permanent waterline within the park for an outdoor skating rink. (Who says winter is no fun?)

Purchasing tickets to ride this merry-go-round will help raise a few bucks. I'd go with you, but merry-go-rounds makes me feel dizzy. ;-) Really!
This weekend's events include a free barbecue, a preteen dance, slow pitch baseball, a soapbox derby, a 5km walk/run and -- my favourite -- a parade. Everyone whose anyone in EG will be there -- even the mayor! I'll be there too. ;-)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Amazing how quickly they put these rides up. I am sure this fair is an exciting event.

Small City Scenes said...

Oh what fun. I want to be there too. MB

Anonymous said...

It kind of reminds me of our "Community Picnic" with the rides for the kids and all. Nice photographs.

Tom said...

I can see we have some great pictures coming up soon... one or two of these silhouetted agaist the Sky might come in handy for next 'Friday.. :o)

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.