Monday, June 30, 2008

Pick N' Pay Strawberries

Plump red strawberries are ripening in the fields. Who can resist locally grown fruit, which always seems to taste better than supermarket produce? Not these two! And not me, either. And this year we've had sufficient rain to ensure juicy berries.
Did you know each plant can produce one quart of berries? Trouble is, they don’t ripen all at once.

This is a well-kept field with straw between the rows, keeping pickers' knees and shoes clean as well as the strawberries.
Don't these berries look scrumptious? Yep, they were. Sadly, they're gone already. We had the strawberries on waffles.

Hmmm. Maybe I should go and pick some more. ;-)

8 comments:

Darla said...

Pick a basket for me while you are there! I haven't had a decent strawberry this year.

Darla

Shammickite said...

It was Strawberry Festival in Stouffville this weekend... and I ate far too many, but they are SOOOOO delish!
I'll be picking strawberries for jam later this week.

Kerri Farley said...

Yum Yum!

Small City Scenes said...

YUMMEEEE!!!
It was burlington Berry Days and Marysville Berry Fest all last week. Those are two town I live in between. I also have a daughter that lives in Burlington and one in Marysville.
You are right--there is nothing like a frest, home (farm) grown berry. MB

Tom said...

Never had them on waffles.. in fact I've never had waffles.. ha!.. those berries do look good

Ken said...

They sure are good this year. A lot better than those imported ones.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Please pick me some as well, i hate that i can't pick any here were we live, don't seem to have the fields here

Rose said...

Looks delicious! Go pick some more and save me some!

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.